Sunday, April 8, 2012

In Service

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

A few days ago Joshua and I rode to the store to purchase some birthday gifts for a friend of ours. The first two stores that we planned to shop at were closed. We pulled into our third choice store and parked next to a car that looked to be disabled. The hood was up and there was a woman and what appeared to be her teenaged son inside. Joshua was first to suggest that he’d like to help. Joshua was able to tinker for a minute or two but lacked the appropriate tools to do anything productive, so we asked if we could drive them someplace.

The woman explained where she lived, and I said that I had no idea where that was but that I was willing to take her wherever she needed within reason. I also warned her that I had six children and my van was perpetually a disaster.

The woman climbed in, and as she handed me her business card said, “With six kids, I’m sure you could use a massage. I’m a therapist and I would like to give you a free massage!”

I seriously had to fight tears. That was such a HUGE gift to me. I can’t state that strongly enough. We had a lovely conversation as we drove, and when we stopped she encouraged me to call for an appointment. I told her, “this is so huge for me, a massage is something that I always feel that I need and never get. I can’t thank you enough.”

She responded, “You have no idea how huge this is for me! We had just been grocery shopping and before you pulled up were planning to start walking. We would have walked several miles, I’m not even sure how I would have made it with my medical issues, and I would have lost all the perishable groceries that we just purchased. I can’t thank you enough!”

Wow. Wow. Wow. Something so simple for me to offer that it barely made a dent in my day, yet profoundly affected another, and her offer, simple for her and yet to me means so very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment